A fixed rate mortgage, maintains its original interest rate throughout the entire life of the loan. Fluctuations in market rates over the term of your loan won’t have any impact on the amount of interest you pay because that rate is already "fixed." Fixed Rate Mortgage Loans come in 10-, 15-, 20-, and 30-year terms.
A Fixed Rate Mortgage Loan may be a good choice if you:
- Plan to stay in this home for at least ten years
- Want to increase the amount of loan you can qualify for
- Want the security of knowing what the amount of your mortgage payment will always be
- Don’t expect your income to increase significantly in the coming years
In determining the length of your loan, you may want to consider:
- The total amount of interest you want to pay over the life of your loan; the total cost of a 30-year loan is higher than the total cost of a 10-, 15-, or 20-year loan. You are trading lower monthly payments for a greater number of monthly payments.
- Your ability to make higher monthly payments; if you can afford to pay more per month, you reduce the number of months you have to pay. Choosing a 15-year term will save you thousands in interest charges over a 30-year mortgage.
- Another option to shorten loan time and decrease the amount of interest you pay is to get a 30-year loan, so you don’t lock yourself into higher monthly payments, but pay "extra" each month towards the principal.
You can always contact one of our friendly, knowledgeable Mortgage Originators to find out more. They will help you find the right mortgage for you.